Theatre is undeniably an exciting creative industry to work in, but with annual ticket sales in the hundreds of millions of pounds in the West End alone, it is also a financially significant business. With over 50 years’ experience of the performing arts, we understand that theatre needs to work creatively and as a business and are well equipped to advise you on your involvement in productions in the UK and overseas. Our extensive contacts and up-to-date intelligence of the global industry means we are uniquely placed to provide you with legal, strategic and business advice.
“Pure theatre through and through… highlights include acting on the move of ‘Shrek The Musical’ from Broadway to the West End [and] advising on the production of a musical based on the film ‘Ghost’.”
Chambers UK, 2012
Our clients work at the highest levels across theatre, musical theatre, ballet, opera, dance and circus, and include producers, theatre owners, subsidised producing companies, drama schools, writers, directors, choreographers, industry bodies, agents, composers, designers and performers.
We can advise you on:
- Rights and Content – acquiring underlying rights for development as stage productions, including books and films, commissioning agreements with writers and composers and copyright issues
- Production Arrangements – assisting with co-productions, creative team arrangements with directors, choreographers and designers
- Production Finance – advice on structuring and promoting investment.
- Production Licensing – the overseas licensing of successful productions
- Transfers between the West End and Broadway – including finance, tax and structuring issues
- Subsidised Sector – advice on commercial exploitation of subsidised sector productions and other arrangements between commercial and subsidised producers.
CLIENTS AND WORK HIGHLIGHTS
Our clients include the producers of West End and Broadway shows. We represent many productions as they transfer to other territories around the world.
We support up and coming producers at the start of their careers, in particular in association with the charity Stage One.
Advising the Royal National Theatre on productions of War Horse worldwide, including the TONY award winning Broadway production at the Lincoln Center Theater.
Ghost The Musical
Advising on the development and original West End production of Ghost The Musical, along with the subsequent Broadway transfer and further productions of the show worldwide.
End Of The Rainbow
We advised on the Broadway transfer of End Of The Rainbow.
Shrek The Musical
We advised DreamWorks Animation on the West End production of Shrek The Musical.
Advising the producers of the West End and touring production of The Ladykillers.
Acting as production counsel on all aspects of the West End transfer of Wicked.
Continuing to act for Working Title, the lead producer of the West End production of Billy Elliot.
One Man, Two Guvnors
We advised the National Theatre on the Broadway transfer of its hit production One Man, Two Guvnors.
Singin’ in the Rain
Advising on the West End transfer of Singin’ in the Rain from Chichester Festival Theatre to the Palace Theatre.