Charlie Thompson advises individuals and employers on contentious and non-contentious employment law matters.
Charlie’s contentious experience includes complex, high value cases in the Employment Tribunal, High Court and Court of Appeal on areas including restraint of trade, termination of employment, discrimination and workplace stress.
Charlie also advises on matters such as employee-relations issues, the employment aspects of corporate transactions and the drafting and negotiation of employment documentation.
Charlie’s clients include businesses and individuals from industries including media & entertainment, technology, retail, professional services and financial services.
Charlie also joined the board of theatre company Out of Joint in spring 2018.
- Tribunal and High Court litigation
- Employment disputes
- Post-termination restrictions and team moves
- Discrimination, bullying and workplace stress
- The gig economy/atypical employment
- Redundancies and business reorganisation
- Employee data
- Acting for a top 100 UK law firm in defending a discrimination claim brought against it by one of its lawyers. The case proceeded to a full two-week hearing before the Employment Tribunal in 2016, which in rejecting the discrimination claim, held in favour of the law firm.
- Acting for a talent agency in successfully defending a claim for unfair constructive dismissal in the Employment Tribunal brought by its former Managing Director in 2015.
- Securing injunctive relief in the Court of Appeal against an employee who had joined a competitor in breach of contract, without the employer being ordered to pay the employee’s salary or bonus (Sunrise Brokers LLP -v- Michael Rodgers ).
- Obtaining a favourable settlement for an individual subjected to race and sex discrimination by her employer.
- Acting for an employee who was subjected to sexual harassment by her manager.
- Advising on the successful overhaul of an insurance underwriter’s employment contracts and staff handbook across its entire workforce.
- Obtaining a favourable settlement for the former director of a major retailer following his sudden and public dismissal.
Charlie trained at Lawrence Graham, and prior to joining Harbottle & Lewis in 2014, was an associate at a boutique employment law firm in the City. Charlie was recognised as a rising star in the 2014 Super Lawyers Listing. He was also named as a ‘Recommended Lawyer’ in the 2013 and 2014 editions of the Legal 500.
- Qualification date: September 2012
- Academic qualifications: BA (Hons) English Literature 2007; GDL 2008; LPC 2009