Christine James is a regulatory and commercial lawyer who acts for a broad range of clients, ranging from global technology companies, telecoms providers, social media organisations and household brands, to start-ups and individuals within the technology, media and entertainment industries.
She has extensive in-house legal experience, having worked at Google, Virgin Media and Hutchison 3G (Three Mobile). This insight enables her to provide pragmatic, commercial advice on a wide range of issues faced by organisations.
Christine has a keen interest in AI, machine learning, emerging tech and technology in the automotive industry.
She has extensive experience in advertising and marketing, data protection, and consumer law. She advises on a range of commercial agreements and compliance issues.
- Digital, email, TV and social media advertising and marketing compliance, including liaising with regulatory bodies such as the Advertising Standards Authority and Information Commissioner’s Office.
- E-Commerce, including compliance with consumer and data protection laws, website and app terms and conditions.
- Privacy and data protection, including GDPR compliance, subject access requests, right to be forgotten and personal data breaches.
- Commercial agreements in the technology, media and entertainment sector, including distribution, outsourcing and non-disclosure agreements.
Christine graduated from the University of Cambridge with a Bachelor of Arts in Law, during which time she was appointed as the youngest editor of the Cambridge Student Law Review.
She went on to achieve a first in her Masters of Law at the University of Law, completing a dissertation in data protection and a module in business and finance.
Christine speaks Armenian fluently, as well as conversational German and Turkish.
- Data & Privacy eBulletin: trends since GDPR day on 25 May, ICO website changes, UK Data Protection Act and our webinar on subject access requests
- Data & Privacy eBulletin: Processing contracts, ICO updates, data breaches & network security
- Data & Privacy eBulletin: GDPR and Brexit, monitoring employees in the workplace and lessons learned from the ICO
- Data & Privacy eBulletin: GDPR guidelines released, how not to update marketing databases, and a record ICO fine
Christine is a member of The Law Society (England and Wales), and the Society for Computers and Law.