Matthew Barnett advises clients on estate and succession planning, wills, trusts and the administration of estates.
Dealing mainly with onshore high net worth individuals and trustees, he advises on the use of wills, trusts and lifetime gifting for the protection of, and preservation of, wealth for future generations. He advises business owners and entrepreneurs on business succession planning.
- Drafting tax efficient wills for the preservation of wealth for future generations
- The use of lifetime settlements to preserve wealth for children and grandchildren and reduce potential inheritance tax liabilities
- Lifetime estate planning through gifting and the efficient use of available exemptions
- Dealing with the day-to-day administration of trusts including preparation of annual trust accounts, annual tax reporting and dealing with beneficiary requests and any trustees’ investment advisors
- Administration of estates including inheritance tax reporting, valuing and securing assets and, where appropriate, advising on the use of post-death variations
- Mental capacity issues including the preparation and registration of Lasting Powers of Attorney and Deputyship and other applications to the Court of Protection.
Before joining Harbottle & Lewis in 2011, Matthew worked in the Private Client departments at Macfarlanes, Campbell Hooper and Speechly Bircham (now Charles Russell Speechlys).
Matthew is a member of the Private Client Section of the Law Society.