Melanie Hart advises on a broad range of corporate, commercial and individual disputes including cases involving contractual claims, intellectual property rights, insolvency (company and individual), professional negligence, fraud, contentious probate, enforcement and coroners’ inquests. She is also involved in various pieces of cross-border litigation in the Cayman Islands, Europe, the US and the Middle East. In addition Melanie advises clients in relation to corporate and personal reputation management issues including claims in privacy, defamation and breach of confidence.
Her clients include limited companies, foreign corporations, insolvency practitioners, private individuals and family offices operating in industries as diverse as financial services, sports management, fashion, manufacturing, theatre and film.
Melanie is a Solicitor Advocate (having obtained her Higher Rights of Audience in 2008). She is a member of the Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates. She undertakes her own advocacy and appears in the High Court before Masters and Judges on behalf of her clients.
- Contractual claims
- Intellectual property rights
- Insolvency (company and individual)
- Professional negligence
- Contentious probate
- Coroners’ inquests
- Defamation and privacy
- Breach of confidence and data protection.
- Acting for a national distributor in successfully defending multiple trade mark infringement claims
- Advising an international client in relation to multi party worldwide financial litigation
- Advising a publisher in relation to a long standing royalties dispute dating back to the 1950s
- Representing various theatrical clients in both bringing and defending breach of contract claims
- Advising shareholders in relation to an alleged misrepresentation claim threatened against the company by another shareholder
- Advising a charity beneficiary in relation to its rights in proceedings under a disputed will
- Acting for a group of clients in successfully concluding defamation proceedings against an international company and its managing director.
Melanie has been appointed to the Law Society’s Civil Justice Committee which reports to its Legal Affairs and Policy Board and is tasked with reviewing and promoting improvements in civil justice. The appointment is for three years.
Melanie is a fluent German speaker and spent a year studying German law at Trier Universitat.