Tony Ballard is recognised as a leading lawyer in broadcasting and telecommunications by the independent legal directories. As a prominent figure in communications law generally, he has extensive experience in the provision of networks and network services and in the distribution of broadcast and other content.
Tony’s clients include major television broadcasters, satellite operators, fixed and mobile telecommunications operators and film producers, distributors, Sky, NHK (the equivalent of the BBC in Japan, RT (the Russian broadcaster) and BFBS (the British Forces Broadcasting Service).
Tony advises on Digital Media, Broadcasting, copyright and telecoms.
- Advising on Ofcom Broadcasting Code
- Advising on copyright issues in broadcasting
- Audience measurement contracts
- Satellite infrastructure and capacity contracts
- Simulcrypt contracts
- Outer Space Act licensing
- Advising satellite operators on delivery in orbit and operations
- Advising satellite platforms on copyright aspects of new technologies
- Overturning ATVOD decision on scope of AVMS regulations on appeal to Ofcom
- Advising Orange on 3G spectrum auction and termination charges
- Leading the industry legal team that pioneered local loop unbundling
- Successful submissions to government to repeal indemnity provisions in Outer Space Act
- Tony has been one of the BBC’s external advisers for many years
Tony is a Member of the Royal Television Society, an arbitrator on the international panel of the Independent Film & Television Alliance and Chairman of the UK branch of the European Centre for Space Law.
Tony joined Harbottle & Lewis in 2007 having previously been a Partner at Field Fisher Waterhouse and, earlier, at Allison & Humphreys.
Tony is the author of:
- The annual chapter on broadcasting law in Oxford University Press’ Yearbook of Copyright and Media Law, Volumes I to VI (1995 to 2002)
- The chapter on mobile in Oceana’s textbook Electronic Communications: The New EU Framework (2002)
- The chapter on Broadcasting and Telecoms in the International Comparative Legal Guide to Telecommunications 2008 published by Global Legal Group Limited
- The chapter on Broadcasting in Oxford University Press’ Media Law and Practice (2009)
- Tony occasionally writes for the Huffington Post and frequently contributes to Harbottle & Lewis’ digital media blog.