Kostyantyn Lobov advises on all aspects of Intellectual Property, Advertising and Regulatory issues. Being a litigator by background, he can advise at all stages of a dispute – from early stage strategy and negotiations, to litigation in the High Court and beyond.
Kostyantyn has worked extensively with clients in the video game and esports sectors, and co-chairs the Firm’s Interactive Entertainment group. His wider client base includes brand owners, production companies and various members of the creative industries, tech start-ups, importers and distributors. They range in size from SMEs to multinational corporations with large in-house legal teams.
A significant part of Kostyantyn’s practice involves co-ordinating advice for projects spanning multiple jurisdictions.
He also advises on the practical application of advertising codes, and investigations by regulators such as the ASA, CMA and Trading Standards.
Kostyantyn is listed in the Legal 500, IP Stars and Chambers.
- Disputes involving all forms of IP rights
- Exploitation, acquisitions and licensing of IP rights
- International protection and enforcement strategies
- Content clearance
- Online takedowns and domain complaints
- Anti-counterfeiting and customs enforcement
Advertising and Regulatory
- Regulatory investigations by the ASA, CMA and Trading Standards
- Competitor complaints
- Practical ad clearance and advice on self-regulatory codes
Video games and esports
- Development, publishing and distribution
- Industry-specific regulatory issues
- Player contracts
- Acting for a large video game publisher in High Court trade mark infringement proceedings relating to one of its key properties
- Co-ordinating an IP protection and enforcement programme for well-known esports organisation
- Acting for a UK-based software company in High Court patent invalidity proceedings
- Advising creators of content (including ad agencies, book publishers, film/TV production companies, and YouTube channel owners) on the scope and applicability of various copyright exceptions
- Advising professional esports players in connection with disputes with their former teams and agents
- Advising a British consumer brand on an ASA investigation and multiple competitor complaints
- Co-ordinating a global trade mark filing programme for a tech start-up
Kostyantyn graduated in European Law from the University of Warwick and holds a postgraduate diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice from the University of Oxford.
He is fluent in French and Russian.
- Games Industry coverage on committee findings
- Independent coverage for Kostya Lobov
- NDA Viewpoints: The ASA and Influencer Marketing – What You Need to Know
- Imminent developments impacting the UK and European games industry
- City A.M. coverage for Kostya Lobov
- World Trademark Review coverage for Kostya Lobov
- The Drum coverage on Audi car ad
- WIPR coverage: Kostya Lobov on IP’s role in the games industry
- IELR: Advertising and VR – regulatory challenges ahead
- PUBG vs Fortnite lawsuit: What does this mean for battle royale and the video game industry?
- Gamesindustry.biz: Trade marks – how much do you really need to protect?
- Kotaku: This Week In The Business
- Gamesindustry.biz: How multimedia trade marks could kill cloned games
- Gamesindustry.biz: Does anyone own the Battle Royale genre?
- Kotaku: Nintendo’s long history of beating patent lawsuits
- GamesIndustry.biz podcast: Beating the bootlegs
- Can you trade mark a film title?
- Insight: Doping in eSports – why the stakes are raised as the sector matures
- Trade marks: Where you stand and what you should be doing