Kostyantyn advises on contentious matters involving all intellectual property and related rights. He advises at all stages of a dispute, from pre-action advisory and clearance work, to litigation in the High Court and beyond. His clients in this field include brand owners, members of the creative industries, IT, software and engineering companies; importers and distributors. They range in size from small tech start-ups to global companies with sizeable in-house legal teams.
Kostyantyn has a particular interest in the interactive entertainment sector, and the law on infringement of intellectual property rights through online distribution platforms. He also has experience of setting up and co-ordinating several anti-counterfeiting and customs enforcement programmes for major brand owners.
Another significant part of Kostyantyn’s practice involves advising on advertising laws, self-regulatory codes, and related consumer protection issues. He advises on how to deal with regulators (including the ASA and Clearcast) in the context of complaints, investigations and pre-clearance discussions. He understands the pressures often faced by brands and agencies in this space, and is accustomed to co-ordinating multi-national clearance projects.
Kostyantyn is listed within the Brand Management section of the Legal 500, which notes that he advises brands and advertising agencies on regulatory and clearance issues, including handling of investigations by the ASA.
- Disputes and litigation involving all types of intellectual property rights
- Strategic pre-action advisory and clearance work
- Developing effective IP protection and enforcement strategies
- Compliance with advertising laws, self-regulatory codes and related consumer law issues
- ASA complaints and adjudications
- Brand protection programmes, including anti-counterfeiting and UK and EU Customs enforcement.
- Acting for a UK-based software company in UK High Court patent invalidity proceedings
- Acting for a large video game publisher in High Court trade mark infringement proceedings relating to one of its key properties
- Acting for a cosmetics company in High Court proceedings relating to a registered Community design
- Advising a number of content creators (including ad agencies, book publishers, and film/TV production companies) on the scope and applicability of the UK copyright exceptions
- Co-ordinating urgent, multi-national ad clearance advice on behalf of agencies and their clients
- Advising a well-known travel company on compliance with the CAP Code in relation to its sales promotions
- Advising a multinational media company on trade mark issues relating to one of its television channels
- Co-ordinating UK brand enforcement programmes for three major international rights holders.
Kostyantyn graduated in European Law from the University of Warwick and holds a postgraduate diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice from the University of Oxford. He is also a member of IPSoc, the society for young IP practitioners.
Kostyantyn is fluent in French and Russian.
- World Trademark Review coverage for Kostya Lobov
- The Drum coverage on Audi car ad
- WIPR coverage: Kostya Lobov on IP’s role in the games industry
- IELR: Advertising and VR – regulatory challenges ahead
- PUBG vs Fortnite lawsuit: What does this mean for battle royale and the video game industry?
- Gamesindustry.biz: Trade marks – how much do you really need to protect?
- Kotaku: This Week In The Business
- Gamesindustry.biz: How multimedia trade marks could kill cloned games
- Gamesindustry.biz: Does anyone own the Battle Royale genre?
- Kotaku: Nintendo’s long history of beating patent lawsuits
- GamesIndustry.biz podcast: Beating the bootlegs
- Can you trade mark a film title?
- Insight: Doping in eSports – why the stakes are raised as the sector matures
- Trade marks: Where you stand and what you should be doing
- Uploading gameplay content to YouTube: The law versus the commercial reality