Lizzie Williams is a dispute resolution lawyer who advises on corporate, commercial and individual disputes, with a focus on disputes in the technology, media and entertainment sectors.
Lizzie has wide-ranging experience of High Court litigation and arbitration, and resolving disputes through mediation and settlement negotiations.
Lizzie acts for a wide range of clients, from individuals to large corporates, including technology and IT companies, music and sporting events companies, production companies, theatres, film financiers, publishers, authors, and high profile and high net worth individuals and families. She is a member of the firm’s Technology Disputes, Film & TV, Fashion & Retail, Music and Data Protection Groups.
In addition, Lizzie has advised on disputes in a number of other sectors, including telecoms, energy, construction, insurance, commercial real estate, pharmaceuticals and infrastructure.
- Breach of contract, misrepresentation and economic torts
- Defamation, data protection, breach of confidence and privacy
- Achieving settlements through negotiation and mediation
• Advised a global IT company on a dispute arising out of the provision of complex software to an international advertising agency
• Advised a large mutual life and pensions company on alleged claims in relation to an information technology outsourcing contract
• Advised on a high value High Court claim arising out of the supply of defective submersible equipment
• Advised on a copyright infringement and breach of confidence claim in relation to the alleged unlawful use of a television format
• Advised defendant construction companies in relation to high profile group litigation involving allegations of unlawful means conspiracy, defamation and breach of the Data Protection Act 1998: The Construction Industry Vetting Information Group Litigation
• Advised on court applications by rights holders in relation to websites which allegedly infringed their copyright
• Advised a high profile theatre on a potential injunction application arising out of an option agreement
• Advised on a dispute between film financiers involving a suite of interrelated loan agreements relating to a number of films
• Advised a global beverage company on a dispute arising out of a sponsorship agreement
• Advised on a dispute between two large energy companies in relation to a $20 million Commercial Court claim for breach of a sale and purchase agreement
• Advised in relation to the alleged breach of joint development contracts with state entities and related confidentiality agreements
• Advised a leading global resources company on an LCIA arbitration with a state-owned iron and steel company
• Advised on a number of disputes for individuals, including high net worth individuals and families, acting to protect their property, information and personal interests
Lizzie graduated from the University of Cambridge with a First Class degree in Law in 2010, before commencing her training contract at Herbert Smith Freehills.
During her training contract, Lizzie was seconded to the litigation team at Sky and worked as a Judicial Assistant to a number of Judges at the High Court of Justice.
In 2014 Lizzie qualified into the dispute resolution team at Herbert Smith Freehills, where she worked on a variety of complex litigation and arbitration matters, principally in the technology, telecoms and energy sectors, before joining Harbottle & Lewis in 2017.
In 2015 Lizzie obtained her Higher Rights of Audience and was admitted as a Solicitor Advocate (civil).