Louis Castellani’s experience covers a range of contentious work across different sectors. On the commercial side, he advises international businesses and private offices in complex cases to trial, applying for urgent injunctions, appeals, arbitration under various rules, and co-ordinating cross-border litigation and enforcement against assets.
On the civil law side, Louis acts in coronial inquests, public inquiries and supporting criminal defence teams in associated civil claims.
He also advises clients on managing risk, mediation and avoiding adversarial proceedings, as well as conducting internal investigations to prepare for litigation.
- Complex breach of contract and warranty claims
- Fraud and breach of fiduciary duty cases involving directors and trustees
- Disputes under financial instruments
- Break-ups of joint ventures
- Litigation over assets and insurance policies
- Professional negligence claims
- Licence fee and royalty disputes
- Disputes with collection societies
- Appeals to and by regulators including disciplinary cases
- Jurisdiction challenges
- Litigation involving parties from the Gulf (GCC), the US and offshore jurisdictions
- Representing parties at public inquiries and coronial inquests
- Achieving settlements through mediation
(Clients are listed in italics)
- Representing NBC-Universal in a High Court contractual and fraud dispute
- BNP Paribas v AHAB v Al-Sanea (jurisdiction challenge)
- Saad Investments Company Ltd (in liquidation) v Al-Sanea (Court of Appeal) (put-option claim)
- LiveNation Music (UK) Ltd v Leighton-Pope & Homer (breach of contract)
- Victoria Beckham Limited v NJ Richards (professional negligence)
- Al-Muzein & Al-Subaihi v Al-Sanea (financial duress counterclaim)
- Y v Attorney-General (acting for the trustees of a well-known charity in Beddoe applications)
- Lucasfilm Ltd v Ainsworth (Supreme Court) (the “Stormtrooper helmet” case)
- Experience Hendrix LLC v Times Newspapers Ltd (breach of copyright)
- LiveNation Music (UK) Ltd v Gaming International Ltd (contractual claim)
- Association of British Concert Promoters v PRS for Music (Copyright Tribunal)
- PRS for Music v Festival Republic Ltd (royalty claim)
- News Group Newspapers v Littlejohn (breach of contract)
- Zennström v Barlow & others (professional negligence)
- Cardiff City FC v Moody (search order)
- Sells Goalkeeper Products Ltd v Allan McGregor (breach of contract)
- PGA European Tour v Simon Dyson (disciplinary)
- FA Investigation into “A” (disciplinary)
- British Board of Boxing Control v “Boxer X” (disciplinary)
- FINA v Swimwear manufacturer (appeal against equipment ban)
Louis trained and qualified at Clyde & Co. before joining Harbottle & Lewis in 2001. He is a member of the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers and the British Association for Sport & Law. He is admitted as a Solicitor Advocate (Civil).
Louis speaks French fluently with a working knowledge of Italian.
- Qualification date: May 2000
- Academic qualifications: LL.B. (Hons) 1995, LPC 1997