Sharon Daboul is a Chartered Trade Mark Attorney (UK) and provides advice on all aspects of trade mark law, including clearance and prosecution of trade marks, domestic and overseas portfolio management, and contentious trade mark proceedings before the UK and EU Intellectual Property Offices.
Sharon has experience of managing global portfolios across a range of industries, including media, arts, entertainment, telecommunications and consumer goods.
She works with a wide range of clients, from multinational corporations to SMEs and entrepreneurs.
Sharon was recognised in the 2015 and 2016 editions of ‘Who’s Who Legal: Trademarks’ as among the world’s leading Trade Mark Attorneys, based on client and peer review. She has twice been credited in the Legal 500, and was ranked as one of the ‘World’s Leading Trademark Professionals’ in the World Trademark Review 1000 publication, in 2018.
She has also provided commentary on trade mark stories for a number of news publications, including The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Daily Mail, The Huffington Post, City A.M., The Mirror, Global Legal Post, The Lawyer, and World IP Review. Details of which can be seen below.
As well as this, Sharon tutors a residential revision course on Trade Mark Law, for trainee patent attorneys.
- Advising on brand selection and conducting trade mark clearance searches
- Providing pre-filing advice and filing strategies
- Drafting trade mark specifications and filing trade mark applications
- Prosecuting applications through to registration, and overturning registrability refusals
- Handling opposition, revocation and invalidity actions
- Negotiating settlement agreements and drafting undertakings
- Managing global filing programmes and auditing existing portfolios
- Coordinating trade mark recordal projects, internationally
- Registering designs in the UK and EU
Before joining Harbottle & Lewis, Sharon worked in a boutique trade mark practice, and a specialist intellectual property law firm.
- Has Usain Bolted the gates on his brand
- Supermac’s beef with McDonald’s
- High Court: Apple’s IWATCH mark is not registrable for computers
- All at sea
- Both parties in cross-opposition proceedings found to have some rights in LUCKY TEA
- High Court issues useful guidance on trademark infringement and passing off in keyword advertising
- McWin for McDonald’s over MacCoffee
- Tackling trade mark trolls
- Société des Produits Nestlé v Cadbury UK Ltd
- Owl sue you
- Freedom of panorama
- Mispronunciation of brands – does it matter?
Sharon has been interviewed for a number of broadcast programmes, including:
- The One Show, BBC
- BBC World Service
- BBC Look North (Evening News)
- BBC Radio 5 Live
Sharon has also delivered presentations on trade marks at:
- London Technology Week
- Leeds Business Week
- Central Working
- Rocket Space
- 3M Buckley Innovation Centre
- Queen Mary University of London
Sharon is a member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA) and served on CITMA’s Education & Training Committee for more than seven years. She has taken appointments at CITMA’s ‘Free Advice Clinics’, held at the UK IPO.
- IP under the microscope: how auditing your IP can protect business value
- Another setback for Europe’s Unified Patent Court
- PIPCU takes action against fake COVID-19 treatment kits
- ASA takes a stand against misleading COVID-19 ads
- COVID-19: impact on contracts with an IP element
- COVID-19: Opportunistic trade mark applications face scrutiny
- COVID-19: IP registry deadlines
- IP and Brexit: update
- adidas parallel stripes trade mark ruling