Business services play a fundamental part in the running and success of our firm. The strong co-operation between these services and our lawyers enables us to utilise our systems and resources in the best possible way. In order to deliver a top-quality service to our clients, talented and dedicated support staff are truly essential.
Our business services teams include:
- Document production and secretarial
- HR and training
- Information services
- Marketing and business development.
We are always interested to hear from individuals with relevant experience so that we can keep you in mind for future opportunities. To lodge a speculative application, please email your CV to email@example.com.
Direct applicants only
We are unable to accept any applications via recruitment agencies.
The objective of this secretarial role is to support the Senior Partner and other Partners and lawyers in the Media and Information Group.
The role requires a Legal secretary with a confident, calm, and professional manner, who is able to communicate with people at all levels. The secretary must be able to work well in a pressured environment; must be highly organised; flexible to partner requirements; able to anticipate the needs of those they work for; able to adapt to the unexpected; adept at multi-tasking; must be reliable and have meticulous attention to detail.
The successful secretary must demonstrate tact, diplomacy, sensitivity and understand the confidential nature of the role.
Duties include providing comprehensive legal secretarial assistance, organisational and administrative support to the Senior Partner for an allocated number of days each week (Wednesday, Thursday and every other Friday) and provide overflow support to the MIG Partners/lawyers for the rest of the week. The secretary must be adaptable, an effective communicator and have the ability to work as part of a job share role, which requires consistency and efficiency; and work as part of a close knit team.
- Reporting to the Senior Partner and proactively working as part of the MIG secretarial team to support the MIG Partners/lawyers and ensure consistencies in support levels are delivered and that policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Manage diaries and arrange appointments (both internal and external).
- Organise travel, accommodation and transfers as appropriate and pro-actively preparing complex travel itineraries for each trip.
- Use judgement when scheduling meetings – determine purpose and minimum time required.
- Manage administration of meetings, including collation of documentation required.
- Arrange conference calls, meetings, lunches and dinners on behalf of the Partners as required.
- Forward planning and thinking of requirements before and after meetings.
- Use judgement to manage workload issues; take ownership of enquiries and ensure other issues are referred/delegated to the appropriate person and dealt with.
- Screen phone calls and take messages, sort post and emails and prepare a list of action items and issues.
- Maintain up-to-date contact details for clients and all other contacts using Interaction.
- Typing all correspondence, documents, tables, memos, emails etc.
- Preparing litigation documents
- Prepare and submit expenses and enter timesheets when required.
- Regularly meet with the Partners to prepare for monthly Billing/WIP management; produce the billing narratives (including extracting narratives from Axxia and reformatting them into a Word/Excel) and cover letters and liaising with the billing team to track progress of bills and ensure accurate and prompt billing.
- Liaising with the Partners in order to comply with the regulations when opening files and undertaking conflict of interest searches and complying with the MLR regulations. Ensuring other file opening documentation is completed and signed by the appropriate lawyer, provided to the Accounts Department, placed on the client file and preparing draft retainer letters and terms of engagement.
- Filing and keeping files up to date (including printing emails with all attachments and filing accordingly); also filing emails electronically in client folders on Filesite.
- Undertaking research.
- Provide ad hoc support for the Partners and lawyers on projects as requested.
The following are required:
- Polished communication skills including an excellent standard of written and spoken English
- Exceptional organisation skills, with an ability to prioritise an often conflicting workload
- The ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential problems
- The confidence to use your own judgment to pro-actively make decisions as and when required
- The aptitude to provide regular progress reports on administration matters
- The confidence and ability to deal with Partners and senior lawyers
- A flexible and professional approach
- Team orientated approach
- A quality driven approach, consistently striving for excellence
- The capability to keep matters confidential
- A “can do” attitude with a willingness to learn and expand knowledge and skills
- Able to prioritise and use initiative
- Approachable with a practical/common sense approach
- Able to build and maintain constructive relationships with individuals at all levels
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent telephone manner, coupled with an ability to communicate clearly and to listen effectively
- Ability to stay calm in often demanding situations and to work well under pressure
- Cope with a workload of varying intensity without loss of attentiveness or quality
- Flexible as to hours and the role itself
- Be flexible towards new technologies and changes in working practices
- Respond positively to constructive instruction/criticism
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team of secretaries and support the Partners and lawyers as required
- Fast and accurate typing skills
Excellent knowledge of:
- Microsoft Word (including: applying house styles, reformatting; automatic numbering; spell checking; search; columns/tables; pagination; headers and footers; cross-referencing)
- Microsoft Outlook
- PKC/Axxia (Accounts System)
- Powerpoint (desired)
- Excel (desired)
- PDF Docs Compare
Please send your application to Anthea Rollock
The objective of the PA Team Leader role is to co-ordinate, manage and motivate a team of PAs, a Filing Admin Assistant and Float PA/Secretary. To promote a collaborative and cohesive team enviroment and to ensure an efficient service is provided at all times. The PA Team Leader will also be required to provide cover and overflow support for Partners and lawyers.
The role requires someone who is organised, confident, professional, diplomatic, discrete and has excellent communication skills at all levels. They must have excellent technical skills and be able to work well in a pressured environment; be highly organised; flexible to the role requirements; able to anticipate the needs of the Groups requiring cover; able to adapt to the unexpected; be adept at multi-tasking and have meticulous attention to detail.
We are seeking an experienced secretarial co-ordinator or team leader to undertake the following:
Team Leader Responsibilities include:
- Manage and motivate the team of PAs and the Filing Admin Assistant and Float PA/Secretary (PA Support Team).
- Monitor their workloads to ensure priorities are met and provide guidance and/or support where required.
- Carry out first round interviews for new members of the PA/PA Support Team.
- Provide training for new members of the PA/PA Support Team on best practice guidelines (including travel, billing, use of Filesite and Interaction); and actively working with them during their probationary period, setting objectives and monitoring their progress.
- Act as the first point of contact for any general/personal/workflow issues raised by the PA/PA Support Team.
- Involvement in the PA appraisal process, gathering and providing feedback and working with the PAs in preparation for their appraisal meeting.
- Manage performance issues for the PAs/PA Support Team.
- Manage the holiday process, including forward planning, authorising holiday bookings, liaising with PAs regarding holiday clashes, organising cover for holiday/absence and confirming cover arrangements.
- Liaise with the Document Services Team Leader to ensure a smooth transfer of work between the DSOs, PAs and Partners and lawyers; and up-dating workflow procedures as required; and liaising with the DSO Team Leader to see assistant from the DSO Department with absence cover when additional support is required.
- Identify training needs and ensuring appropriate training is undertaken by the team to maintain and develop skills.
PA Cover/Overflow requirements:
Gaining a thorough understanding of the PA role in each department. Providing cover for absent PAs or overflow support when not covering.
Please send your application to Anthea Rollock
The Compliance Analyst will work alongside and report to COLP, COFA, MLRO, monitoring and assisting with implementing the firm’s risk and anti-money laundering procedures.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct new client and AML checks at file opening stage and assisting fee-earners with this process;
- Identifying and reporting to COLP, COFA and MLROs on risk issues as they arise;
- Review retainer Letters for consistency and compliance;
- Ongoing review of the firm’s Risk Register and changes of policies that might be required;
- Monitor compliance with the Firm’s file closure procedure;
- Administrative assistance with file audits/reviews;
- Keep up to date and brief COLP, COFA and MLROs on all changes to SRA and AML regulations;
- Deal with general compliance queries and administration;
- Assist COLP, COFA and MLROs with their duties and responsibilities;
- Attend Risk Committee meetings;
- Assist where applicable with claims and complaints where there are compliance issues;
- Provide general support to staff in relation to compliance matters.
- Degree or equivalent
- Previous risk and compliance experience within the legal sector
- Detailed knowledge of the SRA Handbook and legal risk issues
- Clear understanding of Money Laundering Regulations
- Knowledge of legal case management system
- Ability to work with confidence and credibility
- Experience of working with Partners
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Knowledge of how to research complex legal matters and using online legal databases
- Excellent analytical, written and numeracy skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to create and nurture relationships at all levels
- Proactive and approachable
- Hardworking and positive attitude
- Ability to work in teams and independently
Please send your application to Lisa Lacuna
I joined the Accounts team as the Tax & Accounts Manager in 1995. Harbottle & Lewis was a client of mine at my previous company so it feels like I’ve worked with the firm for much longer.
The legal market place has changed so much since then and the structure of the accounts team has evolved with it. I’ve had the opportunity to work on some big projects – converting to an LLP, changing accounting systems and changes to our year end date.
My role here is incredibly varied which is what I love about it. I work closely with partners across the firm on a range of projects throughout the accounting year, including year-end accounts, auditing, budgeting and partners’ tax. In other firms working directly with partners might be a challenge but it’s one of the best bits of my role here. I know it sounds clichéd but the people are great and that makes such a difference. It’s a really supportive environment.