Business services play a fundamental part in the running and success of our firm. The strong co-operation between these services and our lawyers enables us to utilise our systems and resources in the best possible way. In order to deliver a top-quality service to our clients, talented and dedicated support staff are truly essential.
Our business services teams include:
- Document production and secretarial
- HR and training
- Information services
- Marketing and business development.
We are always interested to hear from individuals with relevant experience so that we can keep you in mind for future opportunities. To lodge a speculative application, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Direct applicants only
We are unable to accept any applications via recruitment agencies.
The Compliance Analyst will work alongside and report to COLP, COFA, MLRO, monitoring and assisting with implementing the firm’s risk and anti-money laundering procedures.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct new client and AML checks at file opening stage and assisting fee-earners with this process;
- Identifying and reporting to COLP, COFA and MLROs on risk issues as they arise;
- Review retainer Letters for consistency and compliance;
- Ongoing review of the firm’s Risk Register and changes of policies that might be required;
- Monitor compliance with the Firm’s file closure procedure;
- Administrative assistance with file audits/reviews;
- Keep up to date and brief COLP, COFA and MLROs on all changes to SRA and AML regulations;
- Deal with general compliance queries and administration;
- Assist COLP, COFA and MLROs with their duties and responsibilities;
- Attend Risk Committee meetings;
- Assist where applicable with claims and complaints where there are compliance issues;
- Provide general support to staff in relation to compliance matters.
- Degree or equivalent
- Previous risk and compliance experience within the legal sector
- Detailed knowledge of the SRA Handbook and legal risk issues
- Clear understanding of Money Laundering Regulations
- Knowledge of legal case management system
- Ability to work with confidence and credibility
- Experience of working with Partners
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Knowledge of how to research complex legal matters and using online legal databases
- Excellent analytical, written and numeracy skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to create and nurture relationships at all levels
- Proactive and approachable
- Hardworking and positive attitude
- Ability to work in teams and independently
Please send your application to Lisa Lacuna
Objective of the PA role
The objective of the PA role is to support to an allocated number of Partners and lawyers allowing them to manage their client care and chargeable workload more effectively.
The role requires someone with a confident, calm, and professional manner, who is able to communicate with people at all levels. The PA must be able to work well in a pressured environment, must be highly organised, flexible to Partner requirements, able to anticipate the needs of the Partners they work for, able to adapt to the unexpected, adept at multi-tasking and have meticulous attention to detail.
Duties include providing comprehensive personal assistance and administrative support to an allocated number of Partners and lawyers and ad hoc typing when required.
- Working as part of the PA Team to support an allocated number of Partners and lawyers and ensuring consistencies in support levels are delivered and that policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Liaising with the Document Services Operators (DSOs) to co-ordinate the production of documents, transcription of dictations, documentation prepared using Powerpoint, Excel, and all other documentation.
- Manage Partners diaries and arrange appointments (both internal and external).
- Organise travel, accommodation and transfers as appropriate and pro-actively preparing complex travel itineraries for each trip.
- Use judgement when scheduling meetings – determine purpose and minimum time required.
- Use judgement to manage workload issues; take ownership of enquiries and ensure other issues are referred/delegated to the appropriate person and dealt with in a timely fashion.
- Screen phone calls and take messages, sort post and emails and prepare a list of action items and issues.
- Maintain up-to-date contact details for clients and all other contacts using Interaction.
- Prepare and submit expenses and timesheets when required.
- Regularly meeting with the Partners to prepare for monthly Billing/WIP management; produce the billing narratives (including extracting narratives from Axxia and reformatting them into a Word/Excel) and cover letters and liaising with the billing team to ensure accurate and prompt billing.
- Managing the file opening and closing process and procedures.
- Filing and keeping files up to date (including printing emails with all attachments and filing accordingly); also filing emails electronically in client folders on Filesite.
- Polished communication skills including an excellent standard of written and spoken English
- Exceptional organisation skills, with an ability to prioritise an often conflicting workload
- The ability to plan ahead and anticipate potential problems
- The confidence to use your own judgment to pro-actively make decisions as and when required
- The aptitude to provide regular progress reports on administration matters
- The confidence and ability to deal with Partners and senior lawyers
- A flexible and professional approach
- Team orientated approach
- A quality driven approach, consistently striving for excellence
- The capability to keep matters confidential
Please send your application to Anthea Rollock
We are seeking a confident and client focused IT Trainer who will be responsible for developing and delivering high quality formal and informal IT training in Microsoft Office and firm wide systems using varied training methods. The role will also consist of IT induction training and providing on-going support across the firm as well as creating engaging training materials.
The IT Trainer will have excellent IT and facilitation skills with previous experience in the legal sector. The applicant will be an effective communicator/presenter and will possess strong planning and organisational skills. Advanced Microsoft Office 2010/2016 skills are essential and previous experience using iManage WorkSite, InterAction, Rekoop, Bighand, Avaya, pdf Docs, and smart phones would be an asset.
Please send your application to Lisa Lacuna
I joined the Accounts team as the Tax & Accounts Manager in 1995. Harbottle & Lewis was a client of mine at my previous company so it feels like I’ve worked with the firm for much longer.
The legal market place has changed so much since then and the structure of the accounts team has evolved with it. I’ve had the opportunity to work on some big projects – converting to an LLP, changing accounting systems and changes to our year end date.
My role here is incredibly varied which is what I love about it. I work closely with partners across the firm on a range of projects throughout the accounting year, including year-end accounts, auditing, budgeting and partners’ tax. In other firms working directly with partners might be a challenge but it’s one of the best bits of my role here. I know it sounds clichéd but the people are great and that makes such a difference. It’s a really supportive environment.