If you are a governing body, club or event owner you need to ensure that your rules, and any sanctions that you may impose under them, are lawful. If they are not then they risk challenge, which, if successful, may be financially and reputationally damaging. If you are a sports club or player you need the assurance that the custodians of your sport treat you fairly, lawfully and reasonably, and that they are protecting your rights and your career.
We can advise you on all sports regulatory matters including issues such as selection, eligibility, disciplinary, doping and corruption sanctions, commercial disputes and employment matters. We advise on high-profile disciplinary hearings and appeals to sports specialist arbitration panels such as Sport Resolutions and the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne.
We also advise corporate and brand sponsors, official broadcast partners and sports equipment and technical suppliers on the activation of sponsorship, supply and broadcasting rights within the sports regulatory framework.
We can advise you on:
- Drafting regulations regarding membership, play, conduct and discipline
- Reviewing and revising existing regulations including anti-doping and disciplinary regulations
- Advising governing bodies on proposed sanctions to be brought against individuals
- Advising sportspersons on non-selection and qualification issues
- Defending individual sportspersons against disciplinary, doping and anti-corruption charges
- Advising brands in relation to the limitations on the activation of sponsorship rights imposed by local and national advertising laws and regulations.
England Cricket Players
We have advised England cricketers on the terms of their release arrangements with the ECB and their respective counties to participate in the Indian Premier League.
Federation of International Cricketers’ Association
We advised FICA in relation to the proposed sanctions to be imposed by the ECB against cricketers participating in the Indian Cricket League, as opposed to the ICC sanctioned Indian Premier League and whether such sanctions constituted a restraint of trade.
We advised our longstanding client the PGA European Tour on the terms of its Members’ Regulations Handbook and the application processes for entering the European Tour, Challenge Tour and Senior Tour playing schedules as well as the terms of its disciplinary regulations and integrity policy. We have also advised the Tour on disciplinary proceedings regarding its playing members.
Hennessy Sports and Tyson Fury
We have advised the boxing promoter and the current heavyweight world champion in relation to various regulatory matters involving the British Board of Boxing Control.