David Scott provides personal and corporate tax advice to the full range of the firm’s clients and his core practice involves tax advice for entrepreneurs and their businesses.
He has considerable experience advising on share and business acquisitions and disposals and expertise in all aspects of share incentive arrangements, ranging from the adoption of employee share schemes to highly tailored share-based arrangements for senior management and the use of employee benefit trusts. He also advises on the tax aspects of fundraising through EIS and SEIS for both investors and investee companies.
As the Head of the Charities and Philanthropy Group, he advises not-for-profit organisations and individual philanthropists on all charity law issues, including commercial arrangements and corporate governance issues, as well on specific charity tax issues.
- Advising SMEs and owner managed businesses on tax efficient fundraising, exits and on making the most of available tax reliefs
- Advising on a range of employment tax issues including share based incentives and option schemes
David joined Harbottle & Lewis in 2001 from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer. David is a trustee of Big Change Charitable Trust, a charity that aims to inspire and encourage young people from all backgrounds.
- Qualification date: September 2000
- Academic qualifications: LLB – 1997; LPC – 1998
- Disguised remuneration and the Loan Charge Review: updates to the guidance
- COVID-19: House of Lords reports IR35 is “riddled with problems”
- COVID-19: EMI options and furloughed employees
- COVID-19: Chancellor announces £750m package to support charity sector
- COVID-19: Charity Commission issues further guidance for the sector
- Budget 2020: overview
- H&L advises The Panoply on its 11th acquisition
- H&L advises The Panoply on acquisition of Arthurly
- H&L advises Validus on investment
- Budget 2020: initial reactions
- H&L advises Sargent-Disc on sale to Cast & Crew
- Congratulations to our Private Client team
- Harbottle & Lewis advises on sale of RSRCHXchange