Gary Ashford is a well-known international tax partner, with particular expertise in contentious tax matters. He previously held senior positions at HMRC and leading accountancy firms.
He has particular expertise in complex structures, including trusts and funds both in the UK and overseas, and supports non domicile and international clients in identifying areas of risk in their tax affairs. Gary is an expert on the various overseas tax agreements, international transparency, exchange of information and the increasing need for Substance.
Gary has particular expertise assisting clients who need to make disclosures to HMRC or who are under Code of Practice 8 & 9 (COP8 and COP9), or criminal tax investigation.
He advises on International Tax issues, the OECD BEPS programme (UK implementation) and the EU Anti Avoidance Tax Directive.
He also advises private clients, trusts and corporate clients on a range of complex tax issues such as restructuring, residence, non domicile/remittances, transfer pricing matters, employment and property tax and various other matters including VAT.
Gary spends a considerable amount of his time helping high-net-worth and high-profile individuals and their companies on managing tax avoidance dispute issues and tax risks relating to overseas structures. Gary is also advising, in collaboration with our Reputation Protection group, helping individuals protect what is rightfully theirs while at the same time limiting any media exposure.
Gary is an author for Bloomsbury and tax lecturer on international tax matters. He is also leads for the tax profession in tax Consultations with HMRC and the Treasury.
- UK and Offshore tax matters
- Non-domicile tax planning, HMRC enquiries and tax investigations
- Code of Practice 8 and 9 (COP8 and COP9) and criminal investigations
- Developments in global transparency
- Transfer Pricing
- Various FATCA, inter-governmental agreements
- Large tax disputes
- Corporate tax structuring and re-structuring
- Employment taxes and VAT
Gary is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) and sits on the CIOT Council. He is Vice President of the CFE Tax Advisers Europe, the umbrella body for tax advisers in the wider European Continent.
Gary is a full member of Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and additionally is a committee member of the ICAEW Tax Investigation Practitioners Group and a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
Gary has over 25 years’ experience in the tax industry and joined Harbottle & Lewis in 2014 from the boutique financial services advisory firm, Kinetic Partners. Prior to this Gary worked at organisations including HMRC, EY, and Grant Thornton. He was also previously National Head of Tax Disputes at RSM Tenon.
- Hope for some taxpayers as HMRC publishes loan charge refund guidance
- Disguised remuneration and the Loan Charge Review: updates to the guidance
- IP under the microscope: how auditing your IP can protect business value
- COVID-19: House of Lords reports IR35 is “riddled with problems”
- Budget 2020: overview
- Where global digital economy taxes may be headed in 2020
- The Times coverage for Gary Ashford
- Stellar recognition for pro bono COVID advice
- Taxation coverage: Gary Ashford on DAC6
- Coverage: Gary Ashford on footballers’ image rights
- Accountancy Daily coverage for Gary Ashford
- The Pharma Letter coverage: funding opportunities and tax reliefs
- Coverage: Gary Ashford on fight against tax evasion
- Bloomberg Tax coverage: Future Fund
- DAC6: changes to reporting deadline
- Bloomberg Tax coverage for Gary Ashford
- DAC6 reporting deadline extended
- COVID-19 coverage for Gary Ashford
- Bloomberg Tax coverage on changes to UK Loan Charge
- Budget 2020: initial reactions
- ITSG coverage: tax and esports
- FT Adviser coverage: EU 5th Money Laundering Directive
- Coverage: Tax trends for 2020
- Digital tax and the US
- Bloomberg Tax coverage on offshore funds
- Coverage for Gary Ashford
- US eBulletin: Summer 2019
- Government consultation on R&D tax reliefs for SMEs
- H&L advises surgeon Richard Villar on successful appeal
- OECD consults on tax challenges of digital economy
- Tax Journal: One minute with… Gary Ashford
- Coverage for Gary Ashford on tax disclosure facility
- ITSG coverage for Gary Ashford
- HMRC announce Profit Diversion Compliance Facility