Gary Ashford is a well-known international tax partner, with particular expertise in contentious tax matters. He previously held senior positions at HMRC and leading accountancy firms.
He has particular expertise in complex structures, including trusts and funds both in the UK and overseas, and supports non domicile and international clients in identifying areas of risk in their tax affairs. Gary is an expert on the various overseas tax agreements, international transparency, exchange of information and the increasing need for Substance.
Gary has particular expertise assisting clients who need to make disclosures to HMRC or who are under Code of Practice 8 & 9 (COP8 and COP9), or criminal tax investigation.
He advises on International Tax issues, the OECD BEPS programme (UK implementation) and the EU Anti Avoidance Tax Directive.
He also advises private clients, trusts and corporate clients on a range of complex tax issues such as restructuring, residence, non domicile/remittances, transfer pricing matters, employment and property tax and various other matters including VAT.
Gary spends a considerable amount of his time helping high-net-worth and high-profile individuals and their companies on managing tax avoidance dispute issues and tax risks relating to overseas structures. Gary is also advising, in collaboration with our Reputation Protection group, helping individuals protect what is rightfully theirs while at the same time limiting any media exposure.
Gary is an author for Bloomsbury and tax lecturer on international tax matters. He is also leads for the tax profession in tax Consultations with HMRC and the Treasury.
Citywealth listed Gary in their Top 100 International Private Client Litigation Lawyers.
- UK and Offshore tax matters
- Non-domicile tax planning, HMRC enquiries and tax investigations
- Code of Practice 8 and 9 (COP8 and COP9) and criminal investigations
- Developments in global transparency
- Transfer Pricing
- Various FATCA, inter-governmental agreements
- Large tax disputes
- Corporate tax structuring and re-structuring
- Employment taxes and VAT
Gary is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) and was appointed Vice President in November 2020. He is also Vice President of the CFE Tax Advisers Europe, the umbrella body for tax advisers in the wider European Continent.
Gary is a full member of Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and additionally is a committee member of the ICAEW Tax Investigation Practitioners Group and a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
Gary has over 35 years’ experience in the tax industry and joined Harbottle & Lewis in 2014 from the boutique financial services advisory firm, Kinetic Partners. Prior to this Gary worked at organisations including HMRC, EY, and Grant Thornton. He was also previously National Head of Tax Disputes at RSM Tenon.
- Key Points from the Government’s “mini-Budget” Announcement
- Endorsement for H&L in Chambers HNW
- Tax warning: HMRC seizes NFTs
- Financial Times coverage on tax and cryptocurrency
- Tax Adviser coverage on the crypto revolution
- Taxation coverage on remittance for non-doms
- Bloomberg Tax coverage on non-doms and compliance
- FT Adviser coverage on HMRC nudge letters to crypto asset investors
- Coverage on Capital Gains Tax report
- Coverage for Gary Ashford in Taxation
- Gary Ashford comments on HMRC DAC6 update
- Accountancy Daily coverage for Gary Ashford on CGT
- Harbottle & Lewis’ Gary Ashford appointed Vice President of CIOT