Marissa advises on a wide variety of IP disputes in relation to trade marks, passing off, design rights, copyright and database rights. Her experience also includes advising on data protection disputes and technology- and media- related disputes, including contractual disputes and domain name recovery.
Marissa advises clients across a range of sectors – including film, tv, music, entertainment, publishing, technology and retail – on the management of their global trade mark portfolios and the enforcement of their soft IP rights. She has experience advising on all phases of a dispute, from pre-action correspondence through to trial, in UKIPO, IPEC, High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings.
Recent work highlights include securing a High Court summary judgment for a multinational entertainment company, in relation to an IP dispute regarding character merchandise licensing.
Marissa holds a Postgraduate Diploma in IP Law and Practice from the University of Oxford. Before joining Harbottle & Lewis in 2023, Marissa was an Associate in the London IP & Technology disputes team of Fieldfisher LLP, having qualified there in 2020.
Marissa has a particular interest in the intersection between artificial intelligence, the creative industries and intellectual property law. Prior to working in law, she co-founded and produced a number of national tours for an award-winning theatre company.
- IP disputes, including trade marks, passing off, copyright and design rights disputes in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, High Court and Court of Appeal, as well as settlement and pre-action strategic advice
- Online takedowns and domain name complaints
- Exploitation, acquisition and licensing of IP rights
- Society for Junior Intellectual Property Practitioners (IPSoc)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)