Matthew Leverton has wide-ranging litigation and dispute resolution experience. He regularly handles applications for interim relief (including search orders and freezing orders) and trial litigation, and is well versed in alternative dispute resolution, with experience in expert determination, arbitration and mediation.
Matthew is routinely instructed on heavyweight, high value commercial disputes of all kinds, and has particular experience and expertise in handling claims arising from Fraud. He acts for clients in a variety of sectors, including telecoms, technology, engineering, financial services, travel, entertainment, sport, fashion and retail. He has also represented many of the firm’s technology-sector clients, and technology-oriented clients, in resolving numerous contentious issues, both at the pre-action stage and via litigation and ADR.
Matthew also has extensive experience in:
- Advising and representing private individuals (both HNWIs and UHNWIs) in connection with contentious issues of all kinds, acting to protect those individuals’ assets, property, information and personal interests;
- Handling contentious property issues for clients of all kinds, routinely handling Landlord and Tenant disputes, claims in Private Nuisance, and disputes arising out of property renovation and development; and
- Advising companies, individuals, and office holders on contentious issues arising out of financial distress and insolvency.
- Representing a ‘prime of prime’ FX brokerage business in multi-jurisdictional proceedings (England, Florida, and Illinois) with its former retail brokerage client. The dispute involved complex factual issues relating to price construction, system latency and other market practice, regulatory issues, and comprised a contractual claim and tortious counterclaims arising from alleged misrepresentation and conspiracy.
- Representing private investors in investigating and pursuing claims in respect of a substantial property fraud (obtaining substantial and unusual Interim Relief and multiple indemnity costs orders).
- Representing the manager of an algorithmic hedge fund in defending claims arising from an alleged fraud.
- Representing an offshore financial advisory company in successfully pursuing contractual and tortious claims in respect of an investment by an overseas investment fund (managed by a UK Plc) in a foreign, listed property investment vehicle.
- Representing an entertainment industry leader in a confidential expert determination as to industry practice and remuneration.
- Representing an overseas company and its owner in LCIA arbitral proceedings concerning price adjustment and warranty claims under a share purchase agreement.
- Advising an individual in relation to multi-jurisdictional proceedings and attempted asset confiscation by a foreign state.
- Representing a family office-related lender in pursuing and defending contractual and regulatory claims arising out of a property-backed loan.
- Advising the founder of an international business in relation to issues arising from his dismissal, including as to his leaver status under relevant shareholder documentation.
- Advising a multi-family office in respect of a variety of contentious commercial and operational issues.
- Representing an individual in respect of an international asset recovery project, arising from fraud and breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Advising a private company in financial distress and its board in defending and resolving various shareholder claims.
- Advising a company in relation to issues arising from a major partner’s financial distress and insolvency.
- Acting for the surviving spouse of a deceased individual in defending ‘clawback’ action by the Trustee of the Deceased’s insolvent Estate.
- Representing an Office Holder in pursuing to trial an application to set aside a property transfer, as a Transaction Defrauding Creditors.
- Advising a company and resolving a dispute concerning the supply of inadequate software.
- Representing a leading engineering group in pursuing contractual and other claims in respect of a technology sharing agreement relating to software and data.
- Representing the designers and developers of mobile telecommunication hardware and software in a claim for ‘earn-out’ payments due in respect of the fulfilment of technical performance criteria.
Contentious Property work
- Representing a private individual in relation to a dispute arising from the defective condition of super-prime residential premises and associated lease termination.
- Advising a leading theatre group in relation to a host of contentious property issues.
- Representing a cultural institution in respect of claims arising out of defective renovation and specialist construction work.
- Qualification date: September 2007
- Academic qualifications: BA 2002, GDL/LPC 2003-2005