Matthew Leverton has wide-ranging litigation and dispute resolution experience. He regularly handles applications for interim relief (including search orders and freezing orders) and trial litigation, and is well versed in alternative dispute resolution, with experience in expert determination, arbitration and mediation.
He is routinely instructed on heavyweight, high value commercial disputes and has experience in acting for clients operating in a variety of industries and sectors including telecoms, technology, engineering, financial services, travel, entertainment, sport, fashion and retail.
He also leads the Firm’s Technology Disputes team, and has represented many of the Firm’s technology-sector clients, and technology-oriented clients, in resolving numerous contentious issues, both at the pre-action stage and via litigation and ADR.
He also has significant experience in representing private individuals (including ultra-high net worth individuals) in connection with contentious issues of all kinds, acting to protect those individuals’ assets, property, information and personal interests.
He also has extensive contentious property experience, representing clients of all kinds in respect of their property interests and disputes. He routinely handles landlord and tenant disputes (including service charge disputes, dilapidations claims, and lease determination disputes), claims in private nuisance, and disputes arising out of property renovation and development.
- Representing the manager of an algorithmic hedge fund in defending claims in civil fraud and economic tort
- Representing a leading engineering group in pursuing contractual and other claims in respect of a technology sharing agreement relating to software and data
- Representing an individual in respect of an international asset recovery project, arising from fraud and breaches of fiduciary duty
- Representing an offshore financial advisory company in successfully pursuing contractual and tortious claims in respect of an investment by an overseas investment fund (managed by a UK Plc) in a foreign, listed property investment vehicle
- Representing an entertainment industry leader in a confidential expert determination as to industry practice and remuneration
- Representing a leading sportsperson in defence of High Court proceedings brought by a former adviser
- Representing an overseas company and its owner in LCIA arbitral proceedings concerning price adjustment and warranty claims under a share purchase agreement
- Representing Asian subsidiaries of a global entertainment group in ICC arbitral proceedings
- Representing the designers and developers of mobile telecommunication hardware and software in a claim for ‘earn-out’ payments due in respect of the fulfilment of technical performance criteria
- Qualification date: September 2007
- Academic qualifications: BA 2002, GDL/LPC 2003-2005