Shayna Patel is an associate in our media and entertainment department, and advises on technology, advertising and data.
In particular, Shayna advises on a broad range of commercial agreements as well as on intellectual property, digital advertising/AdTech and data protection.
Shayna has particular experience advising on data protection and data privacy matters, general commercial contracts and the commercialisation and use of various technologies including AI, blockchain, the use of NFTs and the metaverse, particularly in the context of brand engagement, digital marketing and advertising.
Shayna also advises in relation to apps, digital media and online safety including online safety regulation and ICO’s Children’s Code advice.
Commercial Technology and Advertising
- Software licensing and development including SaaS arrangements.
- Research, development and collaboration agreements.
- Intellectual property including assignment and licensing arrangements.
- NFT related agreements, including tokenisation agreements, associated marketing and management agreements and consumer terms.
- The metaverse and related digital assets including IP ownership issues and general contractual arrangements and risks.
- Digital marketing/commercial AdTech arrangements including affiliate network arrangements, brand partnership agreements and AdTech agency/advertiser/publisher arrangements.
- Compliance with the EU/UK GDPR including international data transfers.
- Privacy notices and internal data protection policies, including compliance with the ICO’s Children’s Code.
- Compliance with e-Privacy laws including direct marketing and cookies compliance.
- General corporate support in respect of IT, IP and data protection matters.
Online Safety Regulation
- Advice around proposed online safety regulation.
- Advised a number of clients in a variety of sectors (including film and production, video games, advertising, fashion & luxury goods and travel & leisure) on general compliance with the EU/UK GDPR, drafting internal data protection policies and procedures as well as advising on cookie compliance.
- Advised a multinational company on the development of a white label trading app using blockchain technology, as well as the exploitation and licensing of blockchain technology to automate and simplify supply chains.
- Advised an advertising agency on the implications and risks associated with advertising in the metaverse.
- Advised a number of platform/app and video game providers on proposed online safety regulation and the ICO’s Children’s Code.
- Advised a number of market leading travel and leisure businesses in relation to affiliate marketing arrangements and loyalty schemes, covering technology, advertising and data advice.
- Undertaken secondments to two leading FTSE100 companies, advising on data protection and commercial contract matters.
Shayna studied Law and Criminology at Cardiff University graduating with first class honours.
Before joining Harbottle & Lewis, Shayna trained and qualified at an international City law firm, working in the Technology and Media department and has experience of advising in both private practice and in-house.
Shayna is also a committee member on the Society for Computers and Law (SCL’s) Digital Media Group Committee.