Shireen advises on all types of intellectual property, with a particular emphasis on brands and content. She provides advice on the protection of IP, licensing and dispute resolution. She has over 25 years’ experience which includes IP audit, management and enforcement programmes, litigation and alternative dispute resolution and the commercialisation of IP through licensing, brand extension and other agreements.
Shireen works with clients in a wide range of sectors, including FMCG, retail, travel and telecoms. She has a particular interest in the publishing industry and advises a number of leading publishers, authors, literary estates and content platforms.
- Brand audit, clearance, protection and management programmes and strategies (including trade marks, domain names, social media)
- IP disputes (including risk assessment and damage limitation, litigation, IP Office proceedings, alternative means of resolving disputes)
- IP enforcement programmes (including EU Customs procedures, take down procedures and monitoring and policing strategies)
- IP agreements (including brand and content licensing, brand extension, merchandising and brand management agreements)
- Publishing agreements (both print and digital)
- Publishing related disputes (IP and contract disputes)
- Advising members of the Hachette group and Oxford University Press on a number of brand and content related disputes
- Advising a major publisher and author on pre-publication brand and content protection
- Advising a well-known author on IP disputes and brand protection
- Advising a leading media company on a trade mark licensing dispute
- Advising a leading theatre group on domain name and brand related disputes
Shireen has been listed as a recommended IP lawyer in Chambers and Legal 500 for many years. She has also been listed by Chambers and Legal 500 as a recommended Publishing lawyer.
In 2016 Shireen was a judge at The Bookseller British Book Industry Awards.
Shireen has also acted as a Court appointed supervising solicitor on many occasions.
Shireen is a CEDR accredited mediator and has represented clients in a number of mediations and has acted as assistant mediator to the late Professor Sir Hugh Laddie.
Shireen trained and qualified at Clifford Chance and was a partner in IP boutique, Rouse, for 11 years before joining Harbottle & Lewis in 2009.
Shireen has been involved a number of substantial disputes over her career, including:
- Orange v easyMobile
- Feneseal v Securistyle
- Rediffusion Simulation Limited v Link Miles Limited
- Malaysia Milk Sendirian Berhad v Yakult
- Tay Trading v Honda
- Diageo v ICB
- Animal v Animale
Shireen is a member of the Children’s Privacy Group (a group of in house and private practice lawyers working to enhance standards for children’s privacy online).
- The Intellectual Property Enterprise Court makes new law
- Recognition for 14 H&L lawyers in Best Lawyers
- Alert: 30 September 2021 deadline to clone EU trade mark and design applications
- Harbottle & Lewis expands IP litigation team with new partner hire
- H&L hat trick in WTR1000 rankings
- Updated Intellectual Property Brexit note
- IP Stars success for H&L
- Publishing eBulletin: Autumn 2020
- Success for 11 H&L partners in Best Lawyers