Lizzie Williams is a dispute resolution lawyer who advises on a broad range of corporate, commercial and individual disputes, with a focus on disputes in the technology, media and entertainment sectors.
Lizzie is a solicitor advocate and has extensive experience of litigation and arbitration from the pre-action stage to trial, including urgent injunction applications, appeals, group litigation and resolving disputes through mediation and settlement negotiations.
Lizzie has a particular interest in disputes relating to innovative technologies and digital transformation, including disputes involving traditional IT contracts (e.g. software development, outsourcing, licensing), disputes involving blockchain technology (e.g. NFTs, crypto fraud) and contractual disputes for technology businesses.
Lizzie acts for a wide range of clients, from individuals to large corporates, including technology and IT companies, fashion and beauty retailers and brands, live events companies and music producers, production companies and film financiers, start-ups, founders, shareholders, investors, publishers, authors and high profile and high net worth individuals and families. She is a member of the firm’s Technology, Data Protection, Advertising, Music, Fashion & Retail and Film & TV Groups.
Lizzie was recognised as a “Rising Star” in Commercial Litigation in the Legal 500 2022.
- Advising on termination of contracts
- Advising on disputes from pre-action stage to trial
- Advising on urgent injunction applications and appeals
- Achieving settlements through negotiation and mediation
- Breach of contract, misrepresentation, negligence and unjust enrichment claims
- Lawful and unlawful means conspiracy, fraud and economic tort claims
- Defamation, data protection, breach of confidence and privacy claims
- Disputes between shareholders including unfair prejudice petitions
- Advised shareholders of a leading software company in the entertainment industry on an urgent injunction application in the context of an unfair prejudice petition
- Advised a global IT company on a contractual dispute arising out of the provision of complex software to an international advertising agency
- Advised a large mutual life and pensions company on alleged claims in relation to an information technology outsourcing contract
- Advised a multinational energy company on a high value High Court claim arising out of the supply of defective submersible equipment
- Advised a global film studio regarding defence of £12 million claim for breach of contract and unjust enrichment and counterclaim for fraud in respect of exercise business
- Advised on a copyright infringement and breach of confidence claim in relation to the alleged unlawful use of a television format
- Advised defendant construction companies in relation to high profile group litigation involving allegations of unlawful means conspiracy, defamation and breach of the Data Protection Act 1998: The Construction Industry Vetting Information Group Litigation
- Advised on court applications by rights holders in relation to websites which allegedly infringed their copyright
- Advised a high profile theatre on a potential injunction application arising out of an option agreement relating to a popular play
- Advised on a complex dispute between film financiers involving a suite of interrelated loan agreements relating to a number of films
- Advised a global film studio on the termination of contractual arrangements with key creative talent involved in a high profile film production
- Advised a global beverage company on a dispute arising out of a sponsorship agreement
- Advised on a dispute arising out of a settlement agreement entered into in relation to a joint venture and subsequent proceedings
- Advised on a dispute between two large energy companies in relation to a $20 million Commercial Court claim for breach of a sale and purchase agreement
- Advised in relation to the alleged breach of joint development contracts with state entities and related confidentiality agreements
- Advised a leading global resources company on an LCIA arbitration with a state-owned iron and steel company
- Advised on a number of disputes for individuals, including high net worth individuals and families, acting to protect their property, information and personal interests
Lizzie graduated from the University of Cambridge with a First Class degree in Law in 2010 before commencing her training contract at Herbert Smith Freehills.
During her training contract, Lizzie was seconded to the litigation team at Sky and worked as a Judicial Assistant to a number of Chancery and Commercial Court Judges at the High Court of Justice.
In 2014 Lizzie qualified into the dispute resolution team at Herbert Smith Freehills, where she worked on a variety of complex litigation and arbitration matters, principally in the technology, media and telecoms sectors, for a number of years, before joining Harbottle & Lewis in 2017.
In 2015 Lizzie obtained her Higher Rights of Audience and was admitted as a Solicitor Advocate (civil).
Lizzie is a member of the Society for Computers and Law, the Tech Disputes Network, the Cyber Fraud and Asset Recovery Network, the Digital Law Association and Thought Leaders 4 Disputes.
- Qualification date: March 2014
- Academic qualifications: MA 2010, LPC 2011