Tom Macleod is a Partner in the firm’s Venture Capital group, which sits within the broader Corporate team. He has a particular focus on advising founders and growing entrepreneurial businesses, venture capital funds and angel investors, often from the technology sector.
Tom advises on a broad range of corporate matters, including acquisitions and disposals, financing rounds, joint ventures, corporate restructurings and share incentivisation schemes.
Areas of specialism
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
- Venture capital
- Venture debt
- Seed and angel investments
- Share incentivisation schemes (including EMI and growth shares)
- Joint ventures
- Shareholder arrangements
- Corporate restructurings
- Advising Smart Pension, the technology innovator and leading UK workplace pensions provider, on various rounds of funding, including is $95m Series E led by Aquiline – read more here
- Advising Primer API, the payment automation platform provider, on its $20m series A funding round (led by Accel) and $50m series B funding round (led by ICONIQ Growth)
- Advising F1 Arcade on the launch of a new Formula 1 social entertainment venue including an investment round led by Imbiba – read more here
- Advising Futrli, the fast-growing cloud-based business decision-making platform, on its £4m Series A funding raise from leading venture capital firms e.ventures, Notion Capital and firstminute Capital, and its subsequent sale to Sage – read more here
- Advising the shareholders of Vaix Limited, a leading developer of Artificial Intelligence solutions specifically designed for the iGaming industry, on its acquisition by Sportradar Group – read more here
- Advising Earlybird Ventures, one of Europe’s most successful venture capital firms, on a number of investments including its lead investment in Lexoo, the legal tech startup
- Advising activist shareholder platform Tulipshare on a $10.8m seed investment round led by venture capital firm Eurazeo, alongside Speedinvest and Frst. – read more here
- Advising GMG Ventures on a number of investments including its lead investment in Signal Media, the artificial intelligence-powered decision support platform, which was part of a $16m Series B round
- Advising Karakuri, a robotics start-up with the potential to revolutionise the preparation of ready-to-eat meals, on investment from Ocado, First Minute and others
- Advising Brandwatch, the leading enterprise social intelligence company, on its acquisition of the content marketing and influencer identification platform, BuzzSumo
- Advising Adam Speigal Productions on the acquisition of the rights to the Mousetrap Productions Limited from Sir Stephen Waley-Cohen and others
- Advising ENGIE New Ventures, the corporate venture arm of the global energy provider ENGIE, on its £3 million investment into Vyntelligence, a smart voice and video notes platform which simplifies and digitises data acquisition.
- Advising ZELP (Zero Emissions Livestock Project), a growing London-based ‘agri-tech’ start-up, on various rounds of funding from investors including Collaborative Fund, Danone Manifesto Ventures, Novo Holdings and Starlight Ventures
- Advising the Forward3D Group and its shareholder Forward Dimension Capital, on the acquisition by The Stagwell Media Group, a US-based digital marketing and investment group
- Advising the shareholders of top 50 global language service provider, translate plus, on its sale to Publicis Groupe’s cross-media production platform, Prodigious
- Advising the majority of shareholders of tPoint Solutions Limited, a SaaS provider of a customer engagement platform to various brands, on its sale to Woven Solutions Limited
- Advising the shareholders of Research Exchange Limited, a leading marketplace and aggregator for institutional research, on the acquisition of the company by Liquidnet.
Tom trained at CMS Cameron McKenna LLP before joining the Corporate practice at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP in September 2014 as a newly qualified solicitor.
He joined Harbottle & Lewis in February 2017.
News and Views
- Harbottle & Lewis advises Smart on $95m Series E Funding
- SEIS/EIS updates from Kwasi Kwarteng’s “mini-Budget” 2022
- Harbottle & Lewis advises on sale of Futrli to Sage
- H&L advises Vaix on its acquisition by Sportradar Group
- H&L advises Kindred Concepts on the launch of a new Formula 1 social entertainment venue
- Harbottle & Lewis advises Tulipshare on a $10.8m investment round
- Harbottle & Lewis advises Smart on £165m Series D Funding